We are all finding out in the worst way just how important vaccinating our children are.
30% 0f children in Hawaii are not vaccinated against measles. Many children are home schooled and non vaccinated. So who’s to say if that count could not be higher. With the big connection to Samoa that the islands have hopefully all parents will re-think their position on vaccinating against all diseases.
Measles Cases in 2019
From January 1 to December 5, 2019, 1,276 individual cases of measles have been confirmed in 31 states. CDC will now be updating these data monthly.
6 months into the new year and continued cases are being reported. As of June 2019 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 1,077 measles cases for this year.
October 2019 Disneyland is warning guests about possible measles exposure at the Disneyland California location.
December 2, 2019 Samoa, 1,100 people have been admitted to hospitals and 53 people have died from the measles outbreak since late October, including one adult and two older teenagers. Most of those are babies and young infants.
Signs and Symptoms
- Measles symptoms appear 7 to 14 days after contact with the virus and typically include:
- High fever
- Runny nose, and watery eyes
- Measles rash appears 3 to 5 days after the first symptoms.
Measles isn’t just a little rash. Measles can be dangerous, especially for babies and young children. Measles typically begins with
- high fever (may spike to more than 104°),
- runny nose (coryza), and
- red, watery eyes (conjunctivitis).
- Tiny white spots (Koplik spots) may appear inside the mouth two to three days after symptoms begin.
Three to five days after symptoms begin, a rash breaks out. It usually begins as flat red spots that appear on the face at the hairline and spread downward to the neck, trunk, arms, legs, and feet.
- Small raised bumps may also appear on top of the flat red spots.
- The spots may become joined together as they spread from the head to the rest of the body.
- When the rash appears, a person’s fever may spike to more than 104° Fahrenheit.
If you don’t know what to look for check out these photos. Photos of Measles and People with Measles
- BAD MEDICINE, CORONAVIRUS
- BIG ISLAND: CBS NO SERVICE FOR YOUR ANTENNA
- Maui woman charged with murder
- HILO POLICE: 8 Citations, Man Arrested For Lewdness, Urinating in Public
- Vacunas e inmunización